High Carb Low Fat Vegetarian Fritters
Over this past year I've tried every vegetarian fritter recipe under the sun and after many attempts, I was finally able to produce a fritter that 1. Didn't fall apart and become a sloppy mess and 2. Fits my macros perfectly! Only 4.4g of fat per fritter! Hells yeah!
My boyfriend is vegetarian and he loves this recipe. I don’t know what it is about this recipe, but when we made these fritters they were perfect and maintained their shape when in the pan. We were high fiving each other, it was very exciting! Every other time I've made them, they've been so runny and sloppy and these are the perfect consistency. Yay for learning!
I am no chef and these are so easy to make, you literally just throw all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. My kinda recipe! These fritters are also so good because they are versatile, I'll have them with some frozen vegetables that I'll heat up in the microwave or I'll toss them through a green salad. Feeling like a burger? These make a great vegetarian patty as well. Have I sold you on these yet?
If you need another reason, they are one of my favourite things to make in bulk and freeze for later. Store in a plastic container with cling wrap in between each layer so they don't stick together. Heat up in the microwave for one minute and then throw one in the pan. Easy as fritter.
VEGETARIAN SWEET POTATO AND ZUCCHINI FRITTERS
PREP TIME COOK TIME TOTAL TIME
20 mins 5 mins 25 mins
700g sweet potato
2 brown onions
A few pinches of nutmeg
A few pinches of salt
A few pinches of pepper
4 cloves of minced garlic
4 lightly whisked eggs (vegan: 4 tbs chia seeds with 12 tbs water and let sit for 15 minutes in the fridge)
1 ⅓ cup quinoa flour
1 cup parmesan
Olive oil spray
Low fat sour cream (vegan: soy yogurt)
- Grate the zucchini
- Add a tbsp of salt to the bowl with the zucchini and let sit for 10 minutes. This will help take the moisture out
- Grate the sweet potatoes and the carrot
- Chop the brown onion and lightly brown in a frying pan with olive oil spray
- Squeeze the excess water out of the zucchini. Grab a fistful of zucchini, squeeze as hard as you can over the sink and add to the bowl with the sweet potatoes and carrots.
- Make a well in the centre of the sweet potato mix and add minced garlic, eggs, quinoa flour, parmesan and all seasonings
- Mix all ingredients together
- Line a large container with cling wrap
- Spoon the mixture with your hand and make a round patty and then slightly flatten
- Line up the container with the patties, making sure to add cling wrap between each layer
- Freeze or fry up as many as you like to eat straight away
- Cook on the frying pan at medium heat with olive oil spray, for approximately 1-2 minute each side or until slightly brown
- Serve with low fat sour cream or soy yogurt
Serving size: 1
Recipe yields: 12 fitters